Monday, August 18, 2008

Running Skirt Convert

I'll be the first to admit that I was skeptical of running skirts. They're so . . . girly. Sure, I saw the Runner's World article about a the Rise of Skirt Culture. And I know women who swear by them. But I just couldn't get over the stereotype that real runners don't wear skirts.

Between getting passed by dozens of skirts at the Chicago Distance Classic and watching the Olympics, I finally decided to try running in a skirt. Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh wear bikinis in their sport--and no one questions their athleticism. Bikinis!

I purchased this cute Brooks Run Skort in "sorbet" yellow and took it for its first run tonight. Only one run, and I'm already a running skirt convert! The spandex undershorts are comfy, thin, and breathable. The skirt is long enough for modesty but not so long that it rubs my thighs with each step. And best of all, no possibility of fabric bunching or riding up on long runs. The final test will be wearing a skirt with my hydration belt on a long run, but I'm confident that girly skirts will become a permanent part of my running wardrobe.

No comments: