Saturday, April 19, 2008

Shoe Review: Nike Air Zoom Vomero+ 3

Last Sunday, the day after my half marathon, when the balls of my feet were still sore, I bought a new pair of shoes--Nike Air Zoom Vomero+ 3. Today, I took them out for their first run.



Pros: lots of cushioning throughout the entire foot bed, exterior plastic netting on the heel that provides an immediately supportive and comfortable fit, lightweight, great responsiveness on pavement.

Cons: not a stability shoe so there's little support to keep your foot from rolling in if you overpronate, only medium arch support, perhaps too cushioned for a trail run because they absorb the rocks and roots in the path and made me feel a little disconnected from the ground. The combination of a cushioned ride and little stability support could be a problem for running on uneven surfaces--I would hate to trip or twist an ankle because I didn't feel the ground beneath me and the shoe did not prevent my foot from rolling.

I think I might call them my Cadillac shoes because of the soft, smooth ride. They'll be great for long runs on pavement and mid-week runs on the treadmill. I'm considering getting a shoe with more stability and responsiveness for weekend trail runs, even though I have a normal arch and don't overpronate.

Even Annabelle likes the new shoes!


And, while we're talking about my first outside run since the half marathon--it felt fantastic! I'm considering a jump in my training schedule from running three times a week to running four times a week. I used the run/walk program in Marathoning for Mortals, by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield, for the Charlotte RaceFest--I'm considering a switch to the beginner program in The Marathon Method, by Tom Holland, for the Chicago Distance Classic in August.

No comments: